Monday, July 13, 2009

WIP Final - Benjamin Capone

"Benjamin Capone"
Pastel on Velour
copyright
Jan Gibson


I finished this portrait of Mr. Benjamin Capone a couple of days ago but was waiting to hear from the owner before showing the final here. I understand that she's out of town so I thought I'd go ahead and post the final version.

I've had the privilege of meeting this little man several times and think I have a pretty good likeness and, more, that I've captured his personality. He has had this "look"
on his face everytime I've been around him and in every photo I've seen of him. He's a real sweetheart but seems to "reserve judgment" about people until he really gets to know them and is not whole-heartedly in love with everyone he meets at first.

Does that make sense? I guess I'm used to dogs who are all over you wanting attention and hugs and scratches behind the ears and BC is a little different. He's very friendly but not in the way of most dogs. It's as if he's so self-assured that he doesn't need the ego-stroking attention that most dogs want.

Well, if you have any comments or suggestions for Mr. Capone, please let me know! I'll let you know what the owner says as soon as I hear from her!




6 comments:

Christine Perry | Graphite Art said...

He's just gorgeous, Jan! Good work! Congratulations on another successful commission completed!!
Oh, by the way, I forgot to also congratulate you on being the winner in the Beach Painting contest!! It was well deserved. To me your painting stood out among the rest, even though there were some good pieces displayed!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Jan, love all the detail and texture of the fur.

artbykarieann said...

What a little star, please excuse me but I just love 'scruffy' dogs, they are so fab and full of personality!

Teresa Mallen said...

Hi Jan, he sure is a sweetie. Great job! I am delighted that you feel that you captured his personality. That is the often the hardest part of a portrait. I am sure his owner will see it as well. Our current dog is our third German Shepherd and they have all been reserved with strangers. No lick fest or wagging tails. You have to earn their trust and approval! I know that some GSs are not this way but I can relate very well to this little guy's personality.

Jan said...

Thank you all! I just love this little one so in spite of the difficulty of the long hair, he was a pleasure to paint.

Thanks also Christine on the beach painting kudos!

Vic, fur like this always makes me a little nervous!

Karie-Ann, I so agree with you! This one and his "brother" are both delightful.

That's what I was trying to say, Teresa! BC makes you earn his trust! Lucky you to have GSD's! I think I have a commission for one in the works so I'm excited. Just waiting to hear back from the owners. It will be my first of this breed so hope I can pull it off if it comes through.

twincedar said...

Wonderful portrait Jan! Also, thanks for the award! Been really busy and need to get back to art and blogging, soon!