Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bluebird on Fabriano Tiziano

This is the bluebird painting I talked about a post or so back. It's from my own photo reference and is pastel pencils on Fabriano Tiziano paper - orange Fabriano Tiziano paper to be precise! (as if you couldn't see that!)

This was the pack of paper on sale at Hobby Lobby that my husband insisted I buy. I'm sure it's really a nice paper but I just chose the wrong color for this. The colors range from pale yellow to this deep orange and I chose the orange because of the bird's breast and because it's my least favorite color. I figured if I messed up the painting, it wouldn't bother me much with an ugly colored paper!

Or maybe I should have used regular soft pastels to tone the paper before starting the painting. I'm not sure that would have done much good though as it doesn't seem able to hold much pastel at all.

Oh, well, live and learn. Maybe I'll just save the orange sheets for painting pumpkins at Halloween or something!

4 comments:

Christine Perry | Graphite Art said...

Orange paper or not, Jan, this is a lovely bird you painted. I am sure that there will be a customer who absolutely loves orange and will buy it. It's a good piece of work, and with the right mat and frame will be awesome.

Teresa Mallen said...

I think the breast colour of the bird looks lovely on this paper. I agree with Christine, a mat and frame will really make this piece pop. I so enjoy seeing a bluebird at the feeder!

Jan said...

Thanks to both of you for making me feel better about this one.

readingsully2 said...

I love your little bird.