Monday, July 20, 2009

New Award, New Painting

"Egret"
Pastel on PastelMat
copyright
Jan Gibson


First of all, I'd like to thank Vic, from Art With A Pencil
, for the lovely award. Since I've recently received the award from another artist, you already know seven things about me and seven other artists have received the award from me so I won't repeat them. I do so appreciate the recognition from my peers though. Thanks so much, Vic!

Except for the portrait of Benjamin Capone, I hadn't been painting much up until a few days ago. Then, suddenly, it seems I couldn't get paper and paints in hand quickly enough! lol.

My husband and I went to Hobby Lobby over the weekend and there was some Fabriano Tiziano paper on sale that he insisted I buy. It really was a great deal and I'd never used it before but, it was a pad of colors that I never use so I wasn't going to buy it until he insisted.

So, of course, I had to come home and try it out. What a mistake! I'd picked a sheet of orange (the colors ranged from pale yellow to deep orange) and attempted to paint a bluebird from one of my own photo references. I could not get the paper covered with pastel. No matter what I did, including repeated sprays of fixative and added layers of pastel, that orange kept showing through the painting. What a bummer as I think I did a pretty credible job with the actual painting for a change! Live and learn! That paper doesn't layer well at all for pastel pencils!

Then, yesterday, I got brave enough to try the PastelMat that another artist (Nancy, Reflections From Life Blogspot) and I went in together and ordered from England. I'd heard about how great this paper is and I really wanted to try it but it's not available here in the US at this time.

At first, I didn't like the PastelMat much at all. Since I'd been hearing for months about how great it was, I was extremely disappointed. But, I perservered and eventually found the best way for me to paint on it. It seems to be a matter of filling the tooth to a point where blending is possible. Anyway, the egret above took me most of yesterday (working in bits and pieces of time) to complete but I'm fairly pleased with it as a first effort. The size is 4"X6" or OSWOA sized. Of course, this didn't take much pastel but it did make blending and getting into small areas a real effort!

So, do I like the PastelMat after trying it? A sort of qualified yes. It seems to almost be a mixture of my three favorite supports - PastelBord, ColourFix and Velour - which should make for a super favorite, right? Well, it may become my all time favorite after I've had time to work with it, but for right now, I think PastelBord is still my top choice. Besides, I don't want to get too attached to using it since it's so hard (not to mention, expensive!) to get!

5 comments:

twincedar said...

Great job on the Egret. Like the new look of your blog also!

Paulette said...

The egret turned out great!
I love how it looks lit up.

Jan said...

Thanks, Lori and Paulette. I'm glad to finally get the blog coordinated with my new website so glad it looks ok.

I'm also glad the egret looks ok. I calibrated my monitor to my scanner and printer and was concerned about whether it would change the on-screen appearance of posted images.

The glow was one of the things that attracted me to that ref photo, Paulette. Hope to get to work more with that paper and learn to use it better.

Christine Perry | Graphite Art said...

Jan, when the page loaded and I saw your painting, my heart skipped a beat..it's absolutely the most gorgeous painting and my favorite of yours to date. Very very good work!!

Jan said...

Awww, thanks, Christine. I know you always tell me the truth so I'm really honored that you like this.