Sunday, May 31, 2009

Totally Awesome!

Doe With Twins
copyright
Jan Gibson


I just wanted to share a wildlife photo with you that I took with my new camera this morning.

First, a little background so you'll understand my enthusiasm. Our driveway is about a tenth of a mile long and has pecan trees on one side and pecan and peach trees on the other. It's a "far piece" from the back of the house (where I was trying to hide) to the area where the deer were under the pecan trees. Not only that, but it was getting ready to rain so the morning was pretty dark. As any photographer knows, the more extended the zoom, the more light is needed to get a decent photo.

This was a situation that my old camera would have refused to even consider taking a photo and would have laid down without even attempting the shot. With my new Canon, I not only got to take the pictures, but they actually came out fairly well. The fact that they weren't all perfect was operator error along with the conditions and not the camera's fault. However, Christine (from Creative Life Studio), an accomplished photographer, told me that even professionals take hundreds of photos to get that one that's absolutely perfect so I guess I don't feel too badly about these.

No, they aren't perfect, but I did get photos good enough to be used as painting references which has been my goal all along. And, I hope as I keep practicing, I'll get shots that are better and better.

Just doin' the happy dance here!

5 comments:

readingsully2 said...

I am nominating you for the 'One Lovely Blog Award'. If you should like to accept, please come to my blog. :)

Christine Perry | Graphite Art said...

It's pretty neat to catch one of those rare moments, isn't it? The photograph is very nice, and I see you got some good depth of field despite the long lens. If we'd live closer to each other we could go on a photo shoot together, in search for exciting pictures....LOL That would be fun. You are doing quite well with the new camera!

Jan said...

Thank you for even considering me for this award, Carole! It's much appreciated.

Christine, when I looked out front and saw that mama with twins, I was soooo excited! I would be absolutely thrilled to go on a photo shoot with you some day too. I don't know about doing well with the camera - I have it set to automatic as I sure don't want to be fiddling with the settings and lose the shot. But, I do think I've gotten some worthwhile painting refs so that's the main thing.

twincedar said...

What a wonderful photo! You are lucky to live where you can see so much wildlife.

Jan said...

Thanks, Lori. I don't think I could live in the city and not see the animals we see out here but I could do without the damage they cause, especially the deer. I guess it's a trade-off.

Oddly enough, we came to the area because the "previous administration" was a wildlife biologist and was hired by NC to help move deer into this county! I think the wildlife commission did their job a little too well!