Sunday, March 15, 2009

Just Chillin'

Just Chillin"
pastel on black card stock
copyright
Jan Gibson


I haven't been doing much in the way of my own art recently but had to paint this little one. I was in the pet store where I buy dog food and a couple came in with two Papillons and this little 10-week old Chihuahua puppy. All of the dogs were soooo cute that I just wanted to eat them up! I got permission to photograph all the dogs and plan to paint each of them eventually.

This puppy really got to me though, and even being busier than a one-armed paper hanger, I did this quick painting. I wish I'd done it on something other than black stock though. I just couldn't cover the black paper well enough to suit me so I may re-paint this at another time.

The puppy's name is Tia and she was dressed in a tiny pink hoodie and held close to her owner for warmth. I had to take some artistic license as a hand covered most of her body in the photo so I wrapped her in a blanket instead of the little shirt she was actually wearing.

Although I really love all kinds of animals, especially dogs, I'm not usually so taken with one. This little girl was certainly the exception! Hope you all enjoy her too.

4 comments:

artbykarieann said...

This is just adorable, you could pick the dog up and give a big cuddle it looks so cute.

Teresa Mallen said...

A lovely piece Jan. I think it looks great on the black surface. Wonderful, expressive eyes!

"JeanneG" said...

Very cute. I had a similar fascination with a dog when we had our taxes figured. The tax preparer and his wife had a teeny tiny pomeranian and I just fell in love with it. Just a busy little guy. I hope to get a photo so I can draw him too.

Jan said...

Karie-Ann, if you could give her a cuddle from this painting, you would really flip out to see her in person! She really is adorable.

Thanks, Teresa. I thought the black stock would really make her pop but I lost the tooth before the black spots were covered as well as I wanted.

Hey, Jeanne, isn't it weird how some animals just really get to you? I hope you get some photos too as I would really like to see when you draw him!