Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Amazing!

I just came inside after having the most amazing experience right out on our back porch!  When it got really dry this summer (they say we've been in a drought for the past couple of years) and the flowers just dried up, we put out a hummingbird feeder that I keep full of sugar water.

I was putting out some fresh nectar while ago and got literally mobbed by hummingbirds!  I got a few photos afterward but wish I could share the experience of having those tiny birds fly right up to your face as if to say "who are you?"

 I don't know how much larger I am than they are percentage-wise, but I'm sure it's a lot!  Those tiny little creatures didn't seem at all fazed by this giant though.  As soon as I put up the feeder, they came swarming in, jockeying for position at a yellow feeding "blossoms".  But these little beings are feisty little warriors at heart and will fly at one another to try to keep the nectar all to themselves!

There are times when I wish we had cable, stores and nice restaurants less than 15 miles away and some of the other amenities of city life.  Then there are times when I walk out on any of our porches and know that the lack of those amenities is nothing in comparison to the perks we have right here in the middle of nowhere!


4 comments:

Christine Perry | Graphite Art said...

What an amazing experience that must have been. Maybe they came right up to you to say "Thank You" for feeding us. We never know what these little creatures think or their ability to comprehend and understand things. I believe they understand quite a lot actually.
I hope you are doing well! We are on our way shortly to pick up our son Chase. Can you believe it, after such a long time waiting it is finally here. Cheers, Christine

Jan said...

Oh, Chris! I'm so happy for all of you and so excited that all these years of waiting are finally being fulfilled! I know Chase will have the best parents in the world!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting and for telling me about Chase!

Sue Clinker said...

How amazing Jan .... I love watching all the feathered and furry visitors to our garden too. They give us hours of pleasure with their antics.

and Christine .. I've just caught up with your news on your 'other' blog so would like to add my congratulations and very best wishes to Jan's :o)

Teresa said...

I've noticed that "my" hummers are quite fearless too. I've been right next to the feeder while watering flowers and they fly right past my nose to get to the feeder! Love it!

P.S. City vs country.... city amenities are nice.... but country life is fabulous!