Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Big Project Photo

Adirondack Furniture Project
copyright
Jan Gibson

This is the Adirondack furniture I just finished. The client wanted a tropical theme and also wanted their sailboat to be featured. Because of the spaces between the slats, extremely detailed work just wasn't possible & it was difficult to paint any of it because of the unevenness of most of the surfaces.

As I said earlier, I'm rarely 100% satisfied with anything I do but the clients were very happy with what I'd done. This was a birthday gift for the husband & he was both surprised and thrilled to have his boat immortalized on a chair! I'm told he promptly claimed the blue chair as his own and had lunch in it as soon as they got everything home and set up on their porch!

I'm always glad when the clients are pleased of course. They have promised to recommend me to others but I'm not so sure I'd like to take on such a project again! Maybe if I were to just paint what & how I wanted to and offer the items for sale, it would be easier. It's always somewhat stressful to try to interpret what a client really wants. Even when they tell you, their mind picture of the end result is often different than mine. I was pleased with the trompe L'oleil salt shaker as this was my first attempt at this sort of thing. It went well because it was placed on a solid leg and in a position that made it easier to paint.


copyright
Jan Gibson

Anyway, this was a fun project and I learned a lot from it. I don't think I'd like to be in the decorative painting business and I don't think I'd like to paint murals. However, there's this big, blank wall in our master bath that is just perfect for a mural featuring a dolphin or two! Hmmm, maybe next year!